May 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Sourdough Pancakes


Yay for breakfast! Double yay for pancake breafasts!!

I don't know about you, but I love fluffy pancakes. I want them to be thick, fluffy, & filling. Plus, I want them to be a blank slate for any topping I'm in the mood for. I ended up topping these with pure maple syrup, cashew butter, & leftover rhubarb puree. Triple yum!

Ever since my friend Jen posted her quest for perfect sourdough pancakes, I kept thinking about them. And thinking about them. And possibly drooling while thinking about them. So finally I had to make them.

Of course, I can't leave well enough alone. My ideal pancake breakfast would keep me full for several hours. Whole grains are a great way to fuel the body for longer periods of time because they have more fiber & take longer to digest. So I did some research & altered the recipe to include whole grains.

The Bup is very happy about these pancakes because I've been experimenting with a variety of flavors for awhile. Every time, we'd both take one bite & realize we'd rather have a plain pancake. But then the next week, I'd try something new again. There are so many recipes out there that look delicious! This one is here to stay, however, & we've eaten these for 3 Saturdays in a row. I'm sticking with them for as long as I have my sourdough starter. Actually, I think it's an incentive to keep it alive!

If you have a starter going, prep these tonight for your breakfast tomorrow morning!



Whole Wheat Sourdough Pancakes
Makes 8 3-4" round pancakes

1/2 c sourdough starter
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c water
2 T honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1 T butter
1 c white whole wheat flour

Combine starter, whole wheat flour, and water. Cover lightly and let stand overnight, or at least 4 hours. Add honey, salt, baking soda, egg, and butter. Stir just until combined. Do not over stir. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Heat skillet to 375*F. Gently stir white whole wheat flour into batter. Pour onto hot skillet, about 1/4-1/3 cup batter per pancake. Allow to cook until edges and middle are covered in tiny bubbles. Flip and cook for another 45 seconds or until cooked through the middle. Serve hot.

Note: Any sourdough starter should work here. I got the recipe for mine from the book How to Bake the Perfect Life & it includes rye flour. I've been feeding it for about 2 months now with whole wheat flour, so I think the rye is eaten up by now! If this one ever dies, I think I'd try making Mama Pea's. The pineapple juice in it intrigues me.

2 comments:

  1. Mine died...but these look good enough to start one up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make these! You'll love them!http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/06/whole-wheat-brown-sugar-banana-bread-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...