November 20, 2011

Apple Pumpkin Beer Bread


Fall is slowly winding down. Daylight savings has come & gone, so now it's dark in both the morning & evening. This makes me want to curl up on the couch with a blanket & a mug of hot tea every.single.night. Not good. Especially when things like meetings & life get in the way.

You're probably ready for me to let go of fall, since I've been talking about it for months now, but I'm trying to hang on a little big longer.

This bread, with its fall flavors of pumpkin, apple, & spices helped just a bit. It's sweet enough to be dessert, but healthy enough for breakfast. Or as a mid-day snack to tide me over until dinner.


Start by mixing up the dry stuff, complete with lots of warming spices! Depending on how spiced the pumpkin beer you use is, you may want to reduce or increase the spices. I used Post Road Pumpkin Ale, which is slightly spiced but not over the top.


Chop up the apples & stir together the wet ingredients. There will be leftover beer, but don't worry about that. I'm sure you'll find a good place for it. ;-)


Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and mix away.


Then add the apple chunks, stirring just until they're combined. Don't over stir.


Pour the batter into a loaf pan. I put a baking sheet under my loaf pan while baking, just in case, and it did catch a few drippings of batter. I wanted a nice big loaf, so I didn't want to cut back on the ingredients, but I also didn't want to have to clean the oven!

 

Once it cools, you can slice it up & enjoy!

The chunks of apple cooked into little pockets of sweetness, complimenting the spiced bread. Each bite has all the fall flavors, kicked up a notch with the slight hint of beer. I hope you enjoy it!



Apple Pumpkin Beer Bread
Yield: 12 slices

2 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
1/4 c ground flax
1/4 c toasted wheat germ
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
pinch nutmeg
2 c chopped apples
1/4 c coconut oil, melted
1/2 c pumpkin puree
3/4 c agave nectar or maple syrup
3/4 c pumpkin beer
1 T vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a glass loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, flax, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.  In a separate bowl, mix together coconut oil, pumpkin, agave nectar, pumpkin beer and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until no dry ingredients remain. Add apples and stir just until combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cook in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.









2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! If I don't have the germ and flax, should I just sub 1/4 c. more of wheat flour each for a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marc The flax also works as a binder, similar to how an egg would work. I haven't tried it, but I'd sub in 1 egg + 1/4 c wheat flour. I think that should work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...