June 1, 2012

Grilled Zucchini and Gorgonzola Tortilla Pizzas



Last night I took my very first hot vinyasa yoga class. I was dripping with sweat by the time it was done! When I got home, I wanted a quick meal. This was healthy, quick & much tastier than I expected! I didn't have any sauce, so I was worried it might be bland, but it was anything but that.


We had a little issue with the grill in the middle of cooking the zucchini - our propane ran out! Neither of us wanted to wait for dinner long enough to get it refilled, so we finished cooking inside on our grill pan.

I'm sure these & similar tortilla pizzas will be on the menu a lot this summer. It was so simple to prep & the whole thing could be prepared outside (if you have enough propane!), eliminating the dreaded hot stove in a hot kitchen on a hot day.


We used brown rice tortillas, which are my new favorite. While we don't need to eat gluten free, I think it's important to have a variety of grains in our diet. This variety of tortillas is amazing! It's chewy & crispy at the same time. I'm going to stock up the next time we're at Trader Joe's.

Combined with all the nutrients in veggies & the protein in the cheese, this meal is well balanced. I've been working on keeping our meals vegetable strong while still including a variety of healthy fats, carbs & proteins.

I opted to fold mine in half like a quesadilla for easier eating. These could also be sliced & served in bite sized pieces for an appetizer. I'm already thinking of the many variations available. I didn't add seasoning to the zucchini before grilling it, because I wanted the basil & gorgonzola to be the predominant flavors. If I was using a more mild cheese, I'd amp up the herbs. I can't wait to try another combination!



Grilled Zucchini & Gorgonzola Tortilla Pizza
Serves 2

2 small zucchinis, cut into 1/4" slices
2 T fresh basil, chopped
1 c kale, cut into small pieces
1/3 c gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
2 10" round tortillas (I used Trader Joe's Brown Rice Tortillas)

Preheat grill to 400*F. Cook zucchini for about 5 minutes, then flip and cook another 5 minutes. Zucchini should be cooked, but still crisp. Remove from grill.

Turn grill temperature down to about 250*F. Place tortillas on grill. Once warm, flip and top with basil, kale, zucchini and gorgonzola. Close lid and cook for a few minutes to allow cheese to begin to melt. Keep a close eye on the pizzas, as the tortillas will burn quickly.

Serve hot, either open faced or folded in half like a quesadilla.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...