December 3, 2011

Quick & Easy Stuffed Potatoes



Is it too much to ask for my nail polish to stay on more than 12 hours?

The process of cooking dinner means that I have my hands in water almost every night. Between washing & chopping veggies, cleaning lettuce, & washing dishes, there's always water involved.

That means that anytime I put on nail polish, it's a waste of my time. I try to time it so that I only paint my nails if I know I'm not cooking the following night or we're having something super simple.

For example:
On Wednesday, I painted my nails. Thursdays we always have dinner at my parents' house & Friday I had plans with some friends. I was really hoping it would last till church on Sunday. But no, I woke up on Thursday, did yoga, showered, & noticed that 4 of my nails had already chipped.

It must be a sign. I'm not destined to be a nail polish girl. I love that shine, though! There are much worse things that I could be bothered about, for sure.

Annnnnyway. About these potatoes. They're quick enough that you'll have time to paint your nails, but you better wait until after you make them.

It only took me about 40 minutes to cook, eat & clean up from these. Not too shabby for a healthy meal made from whole foods! We paired them with a big tossed salad, our usual dinner accompaniment.

They were full of flavor & suprisingly filling. I especially liked the slight crunch from the cauliflower & the hint of cheesiness from the nutritional yeast. You could sub in cheese if you'd prefer, but I'm obsessed with this stuff & it's super healthy. This is a great meal for those nights when you're rushed but still want something healthy & satisfying.

Quick & Easy Stuffed Potatoes
Serves 2

2 large potatoes
1 c chopped cauliflower florets
1 1/2 c chopped Swiss chard
1 1/2 T nutritional yeast (substitute parmesan or cheddar cheese, if you'd prefer)
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1/2-3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
paprika, for garnish

Poke potato skins with a fork. Cook potatoes in the microwave (wrapped in a damp paper towel) using the microwave's preset button (about 5-7 minutes).  While they are cooking, lightly steam the cauliflower. Slice potoatoes in half and scoop out the insides. Reserve the potato skin shells for later. In a large bowl, mix potato insides, cauliflower, Swiss chard, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, garlic powder, dried minced onion, 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk, salt & pepper. Heat mixture in microwave for 2 minutes. Mash until only slightly chunky. Microwave for another 2 minutes. If mixture is dry, add additional almond milk until you reach desired consistency. Spoon mixture into reserved potato skin shells, filling generously. Sprinkle with paprika & serve hot!

*Alternately, you can bake the potatoes in the oven, but that will take much longer.

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up on nail polish! Haha. And those potatoes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I can totally relate to the nail chip problem. I just started getting a manicure with "shellac", a new product. Recommend. It's like a super thick layer of polish and stays shiny for 10 days. I never painted my nails before that because apparently I love cooking too much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...