November 10, 2011

It's Bazaar!


This past weekend our church hosted its annual bazaar. It was very successful & we had a lot of fun spending the day with fellow church members while working in the kitchen.

The food doesn't vary too much from year to year, with the hits being homemade chicken pot pie, pulled pork sandwiches, hot dogs & very spicy chili. That doesn't leave much for a vegetarian to eat!


Last year, another church member made a huge pot of vegetarian chili & it sold pretty well. This year, I thought I'd make a vegetarian dish, too. When it comes to veg dishes to please a crowd, Mama Pea's blog is always the first place I turn. Since the bazaar menu has several meat based sandwiches, I decided to do a vegetarian sandwich - the Sloppy Josephine!

While I only sold about 9 sandwiches, I was happy to have this to offer. I had fun making them, the Bup & I had a great lunch, & it was a new food for people to try. Everyone that I convinced to try a bite loved it! One church member even said, "Oh! I didn't expect this to have so much flavor!" I'm glad I could share that vegetarian eating doesn't have to be bland or boring.

Thanks for the recipe, Mama Pea! I've shared the link with several people who requested it.

For a few hours, the Bup worked the order desk. Everytime someone asked for a bbq sandwich, he'd say, "The vegetarian one, correct?" :-)  Most people looked at him like he was nuts, but I love that he asked that. There were a few takers! The lady working with him bought one just to see what he was raving about.


I was stationed in the corner next to the big pots of pot pie. I love the hustle & bustle of the busy kitchen. I'd love to eat it if they'd leave out the chicken...


Dad, over in the spicy chili corner, was cutting up onions. Lots of onions.


They were for Italian sausage sandwiches. The sauce is in the far left crockpot. Next to that is the vegetarian chili, and then the bread-maker for fresh coconut-craisin wheat bread to sell at the bake sale.


I made cake pops! Some were chocolate-chocolate & some were chocolate-peanut butter. Yum! There were only about 8 left by the end of Friday, & they were hoping to sell all the remaining goodies on Saturday morning.

We had a great turnout! There were tons of craft vendors, a silent auction, bake sale, & our annual Granny's Attic rummage sale.

Can't wait till next year. Maybe I'll introduce another vegetarian option!


1 comment:

  1. Church festivals are the best! My mom said she saw you and "bup" walking to the church carrying a whole bunch of random stuff (presumably for the bazaar), haha! Your cake pops sold better than mine, :(, but yay to vegetarian options! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...