January 10, 2011

Cookies, Wine & Eggrolls


If you like chocolate and you like cookies, you'll like these. Correction: You'll LOVE these. Mom found a recipe for a crunchy chocolate cookie with an added kick. These cookies are full of chocolate. How many recipes do you come across with 1 1/2 cups of cocoa powder in them? The recipe said it would make 3-4 dozen cookies, but she divided the dough into 3 hunks and after 1 was rolled and cut out we already had 3 dozen cookies. So we froze the other 2 hunks for the future.


While Mom was rolling out these hearts of chocolate, I mixed up the dough for a batch of Sante's Hermit Cookies from 101 Cookbooks. They had to chill for an hour so after I mixed them I moved on to Mom's Crunchy Cookies.


The dough is basic but then you add oatmeal, cornflakes (We ad libbed with frosted flakes and then cut back on the sugar. I have a HUGE box of frosted flakes in my cupboard from making Tiger Cookies but we don't eat them as cereal so I'm using them in as many things as I can!), coconut and chocolate chips. In other words, you add everything delicious and lots of it!


Mom's cookies finished about the same time I started putting in the Hermit Cookies.




The Hermit Cookies sort of taste like an oatmeal raisin cookie and I love them. Plus they're little 2-bite cookies, so if I eat 3 that's ok. ...Right? I still haven't iced them like the recipe calls for because I hate storing iced cookies. Plus Mom's mailing a package with some of each cookie to my aunt in Oregon and the icing won't ship well. We're icing them as we go along with a cream cheese icing I can store in the fridge.


The men were working hard on bottling wine in the basement.


Luckily they brought us some samples.


That helped give us the energy to start making dinner!


We made 2 kinds of baked egg rolls. One had cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, grated ginger, water chestnuts and mushrooms in it.


The other was bean sprouts, carrots, onions, grated ginger and baby shrimp. Egg rolls are very complicated. Lots of chopping and then you cook the mixture and add soy sauce and any other preferred seasonings. They you wrap them and bake them for 15 minutes.


And they come out nice and crispy!

*Please note my beautifully painted "new" stove. Bup decided to paint the original cream top and make it black and stainless steel. I love it!



I mixed up some dipping sauces and used our Pampered Chef bamboo bowls we got for Christmas (Thanks Connie!). We had duck sauce, chili lime sauce, soy sauce, and peanut sauce (my favorite).



Oh, did I mention the Chocolate Cranberry Nut Pie Mom made for dessert?


I went to bed tired, happy and well-fed!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...