January 30, 2011

A Taste of Heaven and Roasted Deliciousness

The Bup declared tonight's dinner a success. He came up with the nicknames for each food. We had A Taste of Heaven (Baked Portobello Caps) with Roasted Deliciousness (Roasted Brussels Sprouts). On our ski trip, Laura mentioned the brussels sprouts were her new veggie obsession, so when we got home I was hungry for them!



The brussels sprouts were easy. The Bup chopped them into uniform pieces.



I mixed in the garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.



We put them in the oven at 400* for about 20 minutes, added chopped pecans halfway through, and then they were done! In the meantime, we prepped the mushrooms.



I rinsed them, added garlic, salt and pepper...



...and poured on the balsamic vinegar. During which I cut my finger on the metal screw top of the bottle. Beware of hidden sharp objects.



The spinach didn't add much flavor but I added it for the color and nutrients. Did you know mushrooms have Vitamin D? They're one of those foods that I know are good for me but I always forget why.



Mmmmmm!



It shriveled up a little during baking and the balsamic soaked in nicely. If I hadn't been so hungry I probably would have left them in a little longer to let the feta brown.

Baked Portobello Caps
Serves 2

2 Portobello mushroom caps
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup chopped spinach
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray a small pan with cooking spray. Clean mushroom caps and place gill side up in pan. Sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper. Pour balsamic vinegar into the gills of the mushrooms. Lay spinach on each cap, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until feta begins to brown. Serve hot!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...