February 17, 2011

Cannons + Wine = Love


On Sunday we took a day trip to Gettysburg. It was super windy, so we didn't spend too much time wandering around on the battlefields, but we saw some great sights.


My favorite part was the cannons. They impress me because they're so powerful. Imagine being at war and manning the cannon!


We took the Auto Tour and our first stop was the observation tower at the sight where they ended the first day of battle.


After we climbed to the top we quickly checked out the view and went right back down. I thought we were going to blow away!


There were statues and monuments everywhere, including in town.


Sachs Bridge was built for the troops to cross the river. I love covered bridges, so of course we stopped and walked across.


It's a lattice bridge and it was in excellent condition for being so old!


He loves the structural work.


We both remembered going to Devil's Den as kids, so we had to stop and climb on the rocks. Their sheer size is still impressive! It was muddy so we didn't go into the crevices and explore, but we poked our heads in!


I was so cold!


After the battlefield exploration, we walked into town and checked out some wine shops.



We came across Abe Lincoln! Bup had to stop and talk with him for a little. :-)


The wine selections were excellent everywhere we went. Our first stop was at Reid's Orchard & Winery Shop and we toured the old building. Next up was the Hauser Estate Winery Shop where we bought a bottle of the Devil's Den Red. It was delicious warmed with spices in it! Last, we went to the Adams County Winery Shop. We found a wine we both liked! The Furhanna is a dry German style wine that we thought would go with a white fish. I can't wait until we can grill and eat on the patio again! We'll save it for that.


Dinner was at J's at the Village. We were seated in a cute alcove room where it was just the two of us. There was even a mini heater in there, which I loved. I'm always freezing in restaurants!


I love bread baskets, especially when they come with a fun topper like this olive tapenade. But why do so many restaurants only ever give 1 wheat roll per basket?


My favorite part of the meal was the Roasted Red Pepper & Crab soup. Mmmmmm!


I tried my first peach martini. It looks like water but it definitely tasted like peaches!


The Bup had the Lobster Risotto. The scallops were cooked to perfection! He said the lobster was a little dry but that the rice was tasty!


Sorry for the bad lighting on my dish. I had the Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi. The sauce was way too creamy for me, which I should have known from the description in the menu, but the flavor of the gnocchi was excellent. We agreed that we liked the restaurant but would pick somewhere else the next time we go to Gettsyburg. There are so many places to try!

The best part was spending the day with my love. Happy Valentine's Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...