February 3, 2011

Turning green

On Tuesday night we had Two Bean Soup with Kale for dinner. It was just okay. There weren't enough seasonings or something. I salvaged it but I wouldn't make it again. We froze a container for later and as I was cramming it into a slot in the freezer I discovered about 10 bags of green beans. Mom and I froze them last year when Mommom brought up a huge box from her garden. Between the green beans and the pumpkin I have a full shelf in the freezer.



Did you know that green beans are an excellent source of vitamins A, C & K? They're full of manganese and fiber as well. All those health benefits for only 45 calories per cup! That means you can eat a huge dinner!



I made Sichuan Green Beans with a brown rice and grain mixture.



We each had a HUGE serving and there are plenty of leftovers for lunch today. I made this recipe before with fresh green beans and using frozen is pretty comparable. The main difference is that they turn brown quicker, which tastes fine but doesn't make for great pictures.



And of course, wine with apple slices.

Any other good green bean recipes out there? I'm not really into green bean casserole...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...