February 3, 2012

Coconut Cornbread



A few weeks ago we went to the cabin with my parents & friends that are practically family. Laura, Andrew, Walter & I were in charge of lunch one day, so we planned chili & cornbread. I've been searching for a cornbread that's plain & simple, but still healthy, & I think I found it! It's a lot lighter than my Corny Cornbread, & similar in taste to the kind out of the Jiffy box, but with a hint of coconut.

Coconut Cornbread
Adapted from SummerHarms
Serves 16

1 c. white whole wheat flour
1/3 c. unbleached white flour
1 c. corn meal
2 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
6 T. honey
1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
1/4 c. coconut milk or almond milk
1/2 c. sour cream
2 organic eggs

Preheat oven to 400*F. Lightly grease a 9"x9" pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Measure wet ingredients & add to dry mixture. Stir until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan & bake for 20-25 minutes. 


Laura made her not-even-a-little-bit spicy vegetarian chili & we got to see her onion goggles in action! It was like watching Inspector Gadget chop onions.


The temps got pretty low, so we were thankful to come back from our hike & enjoy such a warming lunch.


After lunch, we enjoyed a cozy afternoon in the cabin. I put on my slippers & stayed by the fire!


Mom tried to tempt me with a puzzle, but I was reading a good book. :-)



This chili & cornbread would be perfect to enjoy during the Super Bowl on Sunday! We'll be having baked beans & beer, like we did last year. I'm making it a tradition!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...