November 20, 2012

Apple Cider Cranberry Sauce with Oranges


Are you getting excited for Thanksgiving? What do you have to give thanks for this year?

I'm giving thanks for many things...

  • Brisk fall mornings that warm up into sunny days
  • Kale & Brussels sprouts still growing in my garden
  • Sipping hot chocolate in the evenings
  • Hugs from my love
  • A soft kitten to cuddle
  • Warm soups, filled with nourishing foods
  • Pretty leaves falling from the trees
  • Fall/winter fruits, like cranberries & oranges
  • Loving friends & family 
  • Chances to learn more & hopefully use it in life!
  • Fuzzy socks
  • Pumpkin scented candles

With Thanksgiving coming up, I kept thinking about my dad's cranberry sauce. He handed me a packet of recipes he has been compiling, with one on top labeled "Best Cranberry Sauce." Over the years, he had tried many recipes, pulling the best of them all into one go-to recipe. It's a good one.

His recipe calls for orange juice, which we usually have, but we were out when I went to make this. Instead, I used apple cider. I didn't notice a huge difference, although this does have a very fall-ish feel to it. Cider has a nice sweet/crisp flavor that pairs well with cranberries.

The best part of the whole thing is that I get the entire batch to myself! The Bup isn't much into cranberries, so he took one bite & that was enough. YAY!

If you are looking for something to add to your Thanksgiving dinner, this is the good stuff! It's quick to make, too, so it's easy to fit into your busy cooking schedule.




Apple Cider Cranberry Sauce with Oranges
Serves 6-8

12 oz. bag of cranberries (fresh or frozen), washed
1 c apple cider
2/3 c sucanat (or brown sugar)*
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
zest of 1 orange
1 orange, peeled & segmented
1/4 c Triple Sec
walnuts, to garnish (optional)

In a medium pot, heat cranberries, apple cider, sucanat & ginger. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries pop & mixture thickens. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. While the cranberries cook, chop orange segments into 3-4 pieces each.

Once it is done cooking, remove cranberry mixture from heat. Stir in zest, orange pieces, & Triple Sec. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Best served cold, although it is also good right from the pot (just don't burn your tongue like I did!).

*More sucanat may be needed, depending on your preferred level of sweetness. I like to taste some of the tartness from the cranberries, so I kept the sugar on the low end. If you prefer your cranberry sauce to be sweeter, add up to 1/2 c more, tasting as you go.

More Thanksgiving Ideas:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...