August 5, 2011

Roasted Beets


Two weeks ago at the farmer's market, I bought a bunch of golden beets and a bunch of red beets. Mostly, I just wanted the greens for Wall of Green Soup and the red beets for Red Velvet Cupcakes (for this man in my life), but I knew the rest wouldn't go to waste.

Very dirty

Yes, I was one of those weirdo kids that liked things like pickled beets and prunes dried plums. You guessed that a long time ago, I'm sure.


Freshly scrubbed - but why are the golden ones greenish? Boo!

Golden beets aren't really on my radar. If I can have purple-ish food, why would I want anything else? I'm not even sure why I bought these except they were big and had nice greens for the soup.

The mixture looked pretty with yellow and red onion chunks. I love the lines that show up when you cut beets. They're like zebra stripes.


With a little Mmmm Sauce, tomato + couscous, and kale chips, they were perfect.

Roasted Beets
Serves 2 as main dish or 4 as sides

3 golden beets
5 red beets
1 large yellow onion, wedged
1 large red onion, wedged
olive oil spray
1 tsp. fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray 1 or 2 baking pans with olive oil spray. Gently scrub beets to remove all dirt. Cut off the greens and set aside to use another time (unless you already used them!). Trim off ends and any spots. If preferred, peel, but you do not need to as long as you scrubbed them well and cut out any blemishes. Cut beets into wedges of similar thickness (they do not need to be the same length). Arrange along with the onions in one even layer on baking pans and spray again. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Depending on the thickness of your wedges, they may need to roast longer. If so, keep an eye on the onions, as they may roast slightly faster than beets. Serve immediately.


Roasted Beets

1 comment:

  1. So easy... I like the idea of the gold and red beets. i never seem to mix them, but they make such a pretty presentation.

    And I have a nice herb garden this year. Been infusing oil with chilis (for hot) and Rosemary (for an extra bit of savory)... Either of those would zing this up a bit

    Great post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...