November 19, 2013

Healthy Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I seem to have an abundance of cookie recipes on here, but I like to make cookies & W likes to eat cookies, so I'm always trying new ideas. Cookie recipe testing is really just an excuse to eat the dough...and my love for cookie dough is the main reason I bake vegan cookies. No raw egg for me!

Another reason I keep making new variations is because I want to find a fairly healthy cookie recipe that doesn't taste that way. And since some people don't like banana or coconut or oats or need gluten free, etc., I keep baking. It's a real hardship. ;-)

They don't always turn out good enough to post about. I made a batch awhile ago that were kinda gummy & didn't keep well at all. I spared you from those.

This batch was my attempt at a seasonal chocolate chip cookie, hence the spices. We both really liked them. The peanut butter flavor is pretty subtle, as is the banana. They worked great together as a substitute for oil/butter (although I did use just a little) & sugar. Feel free to add more chocolate chips if you want, although I do tend to be heavy handed.

Enjoy!


Healthy Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 16 small cookies (vegan & gluten free, if using GF oats)

1 ripe banana, peeled & mashed
1.5 T coconut oil, softened
1/4 c natural peanut butter
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of ginger
3 T coconut flour
1 c rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
3 T unsweetened almond milk
1/3 c semi sweet chocolate chips (vegan if needed)

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix mashed banana, coconut oil, and peanut butter. Add sea salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and coconut flour. Stir well. Add oats and almond milk, mixing just to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Using a fork, gently flatten balls. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies no longer appear wet and are lightly browned on the edges. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...