November 11, 2013

Tropical Granola



I make a batch of granola just about weekly because it's W's favorite breakfast food. Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I just make a plain cinnamon granola, nothing fancy. Last week, though, I had some extra time, so I made a fun flavor: tropical! 

Having this to eat brings a little sunshine back into this chilly weather. :-)

I used a mashed banana to add flavor & sweetness, plus coconut oil for crunch. Then at the end of baking, I threw in raw sunflower seeds. I don't like to bake the seeds with the batch from the beginning because they often burn first, meaning either I have to take the granola out before it's done or the granola ends up with lots of burnt parts. Once it cooled, I added flaked coconut & dried pineapple pieces for lots of chew & flavor. Yum!   


Breakfast is served!

Tropical Granola
Yields about 5 cups

4 c rolled oats
3 T agave nectar
3 T coconut oil, softened
1 banana, peeled & mashed
1/4 c raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c flaked coconut
3-4 rings of dried pineapple, chopped (or about 1/4 c chopped dried pineapple)

Preheat oven to 350. Spread oats over baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix together agave, coconut oil, and banana. Pour over oats and stir to coat oats evenly. Spread oats into an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes. Stir, then bake another 10 minutes. Add sunflower seeds and stir again. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add coconut. Allow to cool, then stir in dried pineapple. Store in an airtight container.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...