May 13, 2011

Biergarten

For a combination Mother's & Father's Day celebration, we took my parents to the Biergarten. There were 13 breweries and we received a 12oz. glass to use for the tastings.


They were calling for rain, so we had a gray day, but the tulips were in bloom and everything was lush and green.















As you can see, we got off to a great start! The stands were spaced fairly close together, so we started off with a bang at the first two. The second stand had one of my favorites of the day, Strawberry Wheat from Lancaster Brewing Co.















After that, we stopped for soft pretzels at one of the food booths. The booths were all from local shops or restaurants. I favored the lighter beers but the rest of my family liked the dark varieties.
















One of my favorites was actually rather dark, a Sam Adams. I had to try it since chocolate was in the name! It tasted like Dr. Pepper Cherry Vanilla with a dark beer twist. Once I said that, the Bup wouldn't even try it. He was never a fan.















Another big hit was the Appalachian Brewing Company's Trail Blaze Organic Brown Ale. It was a little too dark and bitter for me, but I love that a local brewery has an organic option!

Beer tastings definitely give you larger samples than wine tastings do! We were ready for a nap after this. If you ever get the chance, go to a beer tasting. I'm learning slowly about beer and it was a great experience to broaden my beer thirst!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...