May 5, 2011

Picky Eater

If you just met me, you'd never believe that I used to be an extremely picky eater. Ok, maybe you would... 


As a child, my mom was very conscious of making sure our family ate healthy. I never had a hot dog until one of her friends found out and gave me one because "all children have to eat hot dogs." It was always a trial for my parents having a picky eater for a daughter because they both love everything.

They're are always telling stories about us eating out. Sometimes the only thing I would eat was broccoli. Once, when I was very young, I sat on my godfather's lap and ate all the onions from his plate.

When I got a little older, I started wanting everything plain. Bare noodles (which I do still love!) were my favorite. Traditionally, we had pasta on Thursday and Sunday nights. After Dad drained the noodles I would bring my plate to the kitchen and get my portion. Then he'd mix the rest in with the sauce for them.

Mom's rule for my eating was that I should try everything she and Dad were having. The only exception was when they had a very spicy meal. I couldn't even take black pepper! On those occasions she either separated out my portion before adding the spice or she made me something simple instead.

It was only after going to college and then moving out on my own that I really developed my taste buds. I started trying new foods and loving them. I started cooking with a healthy diet in mind.



Reading also opened up the world of food to me. Between books and blogs, I've learned so much about how food is grown/raised and its effects on the world and our bodies. In the past year, I've grown closer and closer to being a full vegetarian. At this point, the only meat that I will eat is the occasional seafood, and that only if it was sustainably raised.

So you could say that I'm still a picky eater, but now I'm picky because I want to provide my body with healthy foods and ingredients.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...