May 23, 2011

Rock Movers


Last weekend we went up to my parents' cabin and helped build a rock wall.


As you can see, there are a lot of rock walls already up there. Really, there are a lot of rocks and making walls is the best way to keep them in line. It seems like everywhere you turn another rock is popping up.


Before my parents even bought the property, there used to be a barn yard that had a rock fence around it. It had already fallen down before they got to it, and it was in a field that was rarely used. Since they built the new cabin, it's now in the backyard.


We cut away the weeds and worked on moving the rocks to re-form the wall.


I was in charge of hauling the cart of weeds and brush down to the opposite end of the yard. I can't even describe to you how wet my feet got. It wasn't raining while we were working, but it had rained that morning and the ground up there is perpetually wet anyway. The water from the grass seeped up my pants all the way to my knees.


I love seeing my dad and husband work together. It makes me so happy to see them getting along and growing closer. They really do work well together.


I helped line up the front stones and keep everything interlocking. There were a few times when Dad said that Grandpap and Uncle Sisto were probably rolling over in their graves. They were both very particular about building with stones and taught Dad and his brothers a lot about it.


We made it to the end of one side and stopped for the day. After moving rocks for 4 1/2 hours, it was time for beer!


The cornerstone.


Can we go back again soon?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...