July 17, 2011

Peaches 'n Fluff

Let's talk about peaches.


Fresh, juicy peaches.

Ooey gooey marshmallow fluff fruit dip.

Crunchy graham cracker crumbs.

Together.

Bliss.



My mom makes a fresh peach dessert that I love. It's one of those once a year (maybe twice if you're lucky)  desserts because for it to be good, it needs ripe peaches. The in-season kind that dribble down your chin and arm when you eat them. I remember coming home from school and Mom would have a bowl of peach halves cleaned and waiting on the table. I'd eat the whole bowl. It was usually at least 4 peaches at a time, and they were wonderful. I miss that! Now I have to clean my own and they just don't quite taste the same.

Mom, are you reading this? Can you have a bowl of peaches for me next time I come over?




Back to this dessert. It had a really hard to remember name: "Peach Dessert." The first time I saw the recipe I was devastated. No wonder I didn't like that one layer! It had a raw egg in it. Yikes. No, what I loved was the way the peach juice saturated the graham cracker crumbs and made them just perfect. Then the creaminess of the whipped cream brought everything together. But that custardy layer I could do without.



So last year I tried to recreate it without the custard. I used all the same ingredients otherwise, but for some reason it wasn't right. The graham crackers didn't change into peach deliciousness like they were suppose to.



This morning, I had a revelation. I have leftover Fluff Fruit Dip! I substituted that for the whipped cream and it was peach heaven. I'm renaming the dessert and never using whipped cream again.

Ok, so I would totally eat this if Mom made it the original way. She doesn't use the raw egg anymore.



Peaches 'n Fluff
Serves 2 (or 1 hungry girl!)

4 peaches, sliced*
1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c Fluff Fruit Dip (or about 2 T cream cheese + 8 T marshmallow fluff)**

In a medium bowl (with lid, if possible), layer ingredients. Start with half of the graham cracker crumbs. Next add 2 of the peaches. Pour on half of the Fluff Fruit Dip. Repeat, reserving about 1 T of graham cracker crumbs and a few peach slices for decoration. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld and the peach juice to work it's magic on the graham cracker crumbs.

*This works best of you slice the peaches over the dessert while you're making it. The juices drip onto the graham cracker crumbs instead of being wasted on the cutting board. As always, be very careful when using a sharp knife with wet hands!

**I haven't tried it yet but I think you could just use marshmallow fluff alone. It would be a little sweeter, but definitely delicious!

Peaches n' Fluff on FoodistaPeaches n' Fluff

1 comment:

  1. EXCELLENT... way to stick with an idea and make your own (better!). We have a wonderful year of Missouri Peaches around me, so i am always saving peach recipes. SOunds really delicious

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...