August 30, 2011

Grilled Sweet Potato Beer Fries


Sweet potatoes are amazing.

I haven't always thought that. They used to make me gag. Then I discovered I could roast them instead of mushing them up and covering them in sugar. I think they're much better as a savory food than sweet.

That's saying a lot because I have one mega huge sweet tooth.


A few weeks ago, right after I found the recipe, we tried Sweet Potato Beer Fries from EdiblePerspective.com. They were delicious, of course, as all roasted sweet potatoes are, but they didn't have as much beer flavor as I was expecting. In fact, I only tasted a verrrrrry slight hint of beer. I was expecting more of the beer bread flavor, where you get the smell/hint of beer in every bite. Maybe I should have soaked them longer? I love Ashley's recipes and these were seriously delicious. We scarfed up every bite! I just craved more beer flavor & wanted to grill them.

We decided to go back to our favorite, Baked Curry Sweet Potato Fries from JoytheBaker.com. I simplified Joy's recipe a litte, skipping the egg white, the turmeric & the yogurt sauce. I just toss the sweet potato slices with the seasonings, lay them on a sprayed baking sheet, and lightly spray them. Seriously delicious. You must try these.


But then I kept thinking about the beer fries and how I wanted to try again. Soaking the potatoes reminded me of the Grilled Salt & Vinegar Potatoes we tried & loved from 101Cookbooks.com. I played around with a few deas, and here's what I discovered.

As you can see from the pictures, we used a combination of sweet potatoes and white potatoes for this batch. The sweet potatoes definitely won my vote, but in case you were thinking about substituting white potatoes, I wanted to see how they compared. I didn't get as much of the hint of beer, so they might need to soak in it a little longer than the sweet potatoes. Let me know if you try it and get better results than I did!

To make your sweet potatoes have that hint of beer, you only need 2 ingredients. Sweet potatoes & beer. Easy? I thought so! Oh, and you need a grill. But it's summer, so that's easy, too.

Pure deliciousness.


Grilled Sweet Potato Beer Fries
Serves 2-4

2 or 3 large sweet potatoes
1 12oz bottle of beer (We used Yuengling Lager. Yum!)

Cut the ends off of the sweet potatoes and cut in half. Cut each half into wedges about 1/2" thick. Place wedges in a medium saucepan and pour in the beer. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir potatoes and then simmer for 7 minutes. Stir again and simmer another 7 minutes. Turn off heat, remove cover, stir and let set for 15 minutes or until ready to grill. Potatoes should be tender but not mushy. Drain potatoes and place in a grill basket. Grill on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.


Question: What's your favorite way to eat potatoes? Do you like regular or sweet potatoes more?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...