October 27, 2012

Tasty Tidbits



It's weekend time again! Time flies. The days may stretch on a little, but the weeks fly by! This was a tiring week, so I'm glad that tomorrow will be pretty laid back. I'm not going to go to the grocery store, no matter what, because I'm sure it will be packed with all the people picking up last minute items before the big storm that's on its way.

I'm going to do some experimenting with my ice cream maker this weekend, plus make some other staples for the week, like more granola, hummus, & bread. I'd also like to finish The Feast Nearby: How I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally (all on $40 a week) (long title!!). It's an inspiring book about a woman who does a lot of cooking/preserving & does it all from local sources. She has a lot of great facts about eating locally & about various foods, plus recipes for the things she mentions.



Hope you all enjoy your weekend & stay dry!


Here's what we've been eating in the last week:

Breakfasts
  • Cherry Protein Smoothies
  • Peach yogurt with Cherry Almond Granola
  • Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal with peanut butter & apples/bananas
Lunches
  • Leftovers
  • Cauliflower mash topped with steamed kale, roasted butternut squash & peanut sauce
  • PB & Apple Butter Sandwich
  • Mama Pea's Chex Mix - A couple times a year, I make this as a special treat. It's SO good - much better than bought chex mix, or any other recipe I've tried.
  • Apples

Dinners

Sunday:
  • Pumpkin Chili
  • Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
Monday:
  • Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce
  • Sauteed Brussels Sprouts & Red Onions
Tuesday:
  • Tuscan Kale & Bean Soup
  • Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
Wednesday:
Birthday dinner with my in-laws at The Hershey Pantry
  • I ordered the Eggplant Stackers (one of the specials) with a sweet potato seasonal salad. The eggplant was delicious! The salad was mayo based - blech - so I scraped off the mayo as best I could & ate the cubes of sweet potato. Yes, it was messy. :-)
Thursday:
Traditional choir night dinner at Mom & Pops' house. 
  • Lemon Lentil Soup
  • Green Salad
Friday:
Dinner with friends
  • Out at Chalit's Thai Bistro - I looooove Thai food!


Treats

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...