April 9, 2013

Broccoli & Chickpea Stir-Fry


I know stirfry is pretty normal. It's quick, easy, & adaptable to what you have in the fridge. This particular version is a standard for us, & it's gluten free! While we do eat a lot of gluten free meals, by nature, it is a challenge to make sure that nothing has gluten in it. There are a lot of unsuspecting products (like soy sauce) that have wheat in them. I've been using Bragg Liquid Aminos for awhile now anyway, but when I was going through our cupboards, I found an old bottle of soy sauce that has gluten in it.

 I've been doing a gluten free diet experiment to see how my body reacts, if at all. So far, I don't notice much difference, but we will see when I re-introduce it. In case you're wondering, I'm doing this experiment for health reasons, as I hope to work on healing my thyroid.

One of the easiest dishes to prepare gluten free is a stirfry. They are usually served with rice anyway, so as long as none of the other ingredients have gluten in them, you're in the clear without even realizing its gluten free at all!


So as a quick, gluten free meal, we had some delicious stir-fry over the weekend! I'm in love with rice noodles. I love how they soak up the flavors from the sauce & are soft in texture, a great contrast to the crunch of the veggies. The chickpeas add a different texture, too, plus some staying power to the dish.


Bup likes a zillion noodles with his. :-)

I hope you'll try this! It's filling, nourishing, & most importantly, delicious!

Broccoli & Chickpea Stirfry over Rice Noodles
Serves 4
Gluten Free, Vegan option

1 onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 carrot, chopped into rounds
5 button mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 head broccoli, cut into florets & stems peeled, sliced & chopped
1 1/2 c chickpeas (14 oz. can)
1/2 c Bragg Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce, gluten free if necessary)
2 T rice vinegar
1 T organic ketchup
1 T lime juice
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. honey (or agave syrup for vegan option)
1 8 oz. package brown rice noodles (I used Annie Chun's Maifun Gluten Free Brown Rice Noodles)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil in preparation for cooking the rice noodles. While it comes to a boil, prepare stirfry as follows.

In a large non-stick pan or wok, cook onion until softened over medium heat (about 4 minutes). Add bell pepper, jalapenos, carrot, mushrooms, and broccoli stems. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes. While veggies are cooking, prepare sauce by whisking together Braggs, rice vinegar, ketchup, lime juice, salt, ginger, and honey. Pour sauce into the wok, then add broccoli florets and chickpeas. Stir to combine, then cook for 5 minutes or until broccoli is lightly steamed and mixture is heated through.

Prepare rice noodles according to package directions. Divide noodles into four bowls and top each with 1/4 of the stirfry. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really amazed at the photo of the recipe given here because it looks very delicious. I hope I can cook like this recipe for my family because honestly I'm not too great when it comes to cooking. By the way, Thank you for sharing this with us.


    stir fry sauce

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...