April 20, 2013

Tasty Tidbits



This cat...she's been a terror this week! I think it's partly because we have our living room all moved around & it's throwing her off. She's constantly getting into things (like the plants & plastic bags), even more than usual. I just hope that after we get our new carpet that she doesn't scratch at it!


I bought a coconut last weekend. This is the second one I've purchased in my life - the first intimidated me & sat on our counter until it dried up. Ew.

This time, I vowed that we'd use it right away. The Bup poked holes in it & we drained out the coconut water. Then he tried to crack it open & broke a knife, so he got out the hammer & hack saw. :-) He got it open at last, & we sampled the water & flesh. Both were VERY salty, almost like coconut flavored ocean water. It was nothing like the kind you can buy pre-shredded. I didn't expect it to be the same, but I thought it would be better, not worse! We used the coconut water in some barely worth mentioning cocktails. I tried to make coconut butter from the flesh by putting it in the food processor, but it never butterized. I was so frustrated by then that I just put it all into a container & froze it. Better luck another time!

Any ideas on what I could do with a pureed coconut?


Here's what we've been eating in the last week:

Breakfasts

Lunches

Dinners

Saturday:
  • Portobello caps topped with roasted asparagus & Tuscan cheddar cheese
  • Roasted sweet potato fries
  • Green Salad
Sunday: 
Out to eat at The Circular
  • Me:
    • Salt Roasted Heirloom Beet & Arugula Salad
    • Spring Vegetable Risotto
  • Bup:
    • Shaved Vegetable Salad & Puffed Fruit
    • Wild Mushroom Wellington
  • Sides to share:
    • Grilled Asparagus
    • Chester County Mushrooms
    • House Cut French Fries
  • Chocolate Fondue for Two
Monday:
  • Brittany's Zucchini Noodles in a Thai Peanut Sauce - We got a spiralizer for Christmas & it was perfect for this! I made this awhile back & sliced the zucchini into noodles. Not only was that a pain, but it didn't turn out nearly as good.
  • Green salad
Tuesday:
  • Mega salads: Romaine, spinach, & watercress topped with roasted asparagus, carrots, onion, mushrooms, leftover baked sweet potato fries, & apple slices with orange balsamic vinaigrette
Wednesday:
  • Ashley's Quick Gluten Free Flatbreads - These were pretty simple to prep, the longest part was the actual cooking. I got impatient waiting! The flavor is really good & they're nice & bread-y. I think they'd be great for using like bread for sandwiches, too.
  • Leftover lentil dal (frozen from before)
  • Sauteed mushrooms & onions
  • Green salad



Thursday:
Dinner at Mom & Pops' before choir 
  • Spicy quinoa & bell pepper enchiladas - Seriously delicious with a mega-kick. My nose was running & my mouth was on fire, both things that in the past I would have started whining about. This time I was really enjoying it. Plus, she had a little leftover potato salad to cool down our mouths.
  • Green Salad with maple roasted walnuts
  • Coconut truffles & chocolate covered strawberries - Mom went fancy on us this week!
Friday:
Girls' night dinner
  • Surprises! We each bring something to eat & then have a grand un-veiling. So fun!

Treats

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...