June 11, 2011

Baked Penne



I found a great recipe for Butternut Squash Mac 'n Cheeze at OhSheGlows.com and decided we'd use the last squash from last year's garden for something special. I chopped it up and put it in the oven. I prepped the noodles, got out some other ingredients, made a big salad, and then took it out of the oven. Normal cooking in my kitchen.



Except then I thought, "I should taste it." So I did. Tasted and tasted and tasted*. And then it was over half gone and I had no idea how that had happened. Or what on earth I was going to serve for dinner.

*I told you it was like candy!



So I scrapped the original recipe and went looking for another baked pasta dish. One that didn't include butternut squash. Maybe I could serve the rest as a side? If I didn't eat it first, that is.



Nothing really popped, but I did get some ideas. I created a combination sauce that included the remaining squash, tomato paste, and a lonely jalapeño from the crisper drawer. Vegan but cheesy. Thick and creamy with a little heat. Delicious.





Baked Penne
Inspired by Angela Health Mag

1 small butternut squash, peeled & seeded
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 baby portobella mushrooms, chopped
12 oz penne pasta (I used Garden Delight, any would work)
1/4 c tomato paste
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped & partially seeded (depends how hot you want it!)
1 c water
1/3 c nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 c kale, chopped

Preheat the oven to 400*. Chop butternut squash into 1" pieces and roast on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray until lightly browned, about 30-40 minutes. Once the squash is done baking, reduce heat to 350*.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions, using the shortest recommended cooking time. While pasta is cooking, saute onions and mushrooms. In a food processor, combine about 1 cup roasted butternut squash cubes, tomato paste, jalapeño, water, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning until well blended. Mix with drained pasta, onions, mushrooms and kale. Spray a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray and pour pasta mixture into pan. Bake uncovered at 350* for 30 minutes.

Baked Penne on FoodistaBaked Penne

1 comment:

  1. Haha I would (and do) do the same thing...taste it....and then taste it some more....oops, none left for the guests, oh well! :P Looks very good, I'll have to bookmark this one. Seriously, Carissa, I think you have changed my life ;-) All this healthy eating influence, and everything that is so tasty and yummy has gotten me hooked very quickly. Thanks for all your input and help, I think I'll have to start an excel file myself lol.
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...