September 5, 2011

Celebrating Birthdays!

Happy birthday!


This makes 2 years in a row that I'm posting about baking a cake for Dad's birthday.

It's the same cake, as he requested. Same cake, one year later, and Dad's happy! I'll never forget his birthday, and now because of his birthday, I won't forget when I started blogging.

This is a very special occasion! I can't believe I've been blogging for a year!


He's always super quick to blow out the candles! Sorry for the blur.

 I don't have a fancy camera, so I don't have options for exposure or apperture or any other fancy things. It's point and shoot, adjust the setup and lighting. Repeat. The more I take, the more I learn. Better pictures to celebrate a year of learning.

I hope you can tell the differences as I learn! I feel like I've grown so much in the past year.


I even made some alterations to this cake recipe, and I think this year it was even better!

Carrot Spice Cake
adapted from several recipes from
 Cooking LightServes 12
Cake:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup evaporated cane juice (or substitute sugar)
2 tsps. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 T coconut oil, melted
1 large egg
1 T ground flax seed + 1 T water (or substitute 1 egg)
2 cups grated carrot (about 2 large carrots)
1 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup golden raisins

Frosting:
2 T butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) block 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsps. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 2 9" round baking pans with cooking spray & dust with flour.
Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine oil and eggs; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated carrot, pineapple, and applesauce into flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 325° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit in pans for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire racks and cool completely.

For frosting, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla just until mixed. Spread frosting between layers and then over cake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...