September 27, 2012

What's Growing Now: Early September


Our garden is still green & growing! We're getting end of summer tomatoes, eggplant, brussels sprouts, bell peppers, & jalapenos.


In the back bed, where the Bup put our last load of composted soil, we have a few head of lettuce growing. I was so excited to see them pop up, because I've been unsuccessful getting my seeds to start. It's been hot & dry the other times, so I'm hoping the last batch I planted will take.


The cherry tomatoes are still crazy. I'm getting tired of picking them!


Our purple bell peppers are still small, but they're ripe & ready to pick. I'm trying to leave some on the vine to see if they're change to red. You can see one in the top right that's trying to!


Baby squash! This plant is taking over, growing over the fence & out into the yard. I love squash, so I'm encouraging it.


Another part of the same squash vine has a spaghetti squash growing. I can't wait to eat it!


This bed has taken off in the last 2 weeks. There's beets, turnips, carrots, broccoli, & a random vine that might be cucumber.


The Thai basil we planted has taken off. It's so pretty with the purple flowers growing right by it.
 

Some bugs are eating the leaves of our eggplants, but they're still thriving. This has been the best year yet for us growing eggplants. We've even had enough to give a few away!


Kale & swiss chard, in all their glory. They just don't stop!


Amidst our sweet potato vines, we have another unknown vining plant. I think this might be a melon of some kind, but we won't know for sure until we cut it open.

I'm excited for winter, when the gardening slows down a little & we have some snow. In the meantime, though, we're enjoying the final harvests. It's great to have fresh produce even with the cooler weather that's here. Happy fall!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...